Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Packers and Steelers here we come!!

  It's been a busy week but I was able to get together with a few friends for the games on Sunday. We had quite a spread of food and I brought the beer. Had a few this time that went very well with what we had to eat. The first is one of my new favorites that I have mentioned before and that is:
 
  Wasatch Devastator- I cannot say enough good things about this brew, we had a cheese platter with smoked Gouda, Irish Cheddar, and Aged Wisconsin Cheddar. This beer went great with the Irish and the Gouda. We had a baked Salmon with some Mango Salsa that is also went very well with, the sweetness and little bit of heat in the salsa really played with the beer nicely. This is an amazing beer with a ton of flavor, as I mentioned in an earlier post it is 9% ABV so it is a BIG beer but there is very little alcohol taste to it that still surprises me. I am going to try it soon as a Black and Tan variation with my beloved Guinness.

  Wasatch Polygamy Porter- This is another beer I have had before and I quite enjoy. It has a flavor that is comparable to Guinness, yet it doesn't have the super thick creamy head like one. However this beer is smooth it has big flavor and very little, if any aftertaste which is quite nice. It went amazing with the cheeses, especially the Gouda, and it was awesome with the chocolate dipped Eclair we had for desert. This is a great beer for deserts especially I would recommend trying this one for sure if you haven't already, it is also available at many of the local supermarkets in Salt Lake so you dont have to make a special trip to the DABC.

  Squatters Root Cellar- So I have seen some sours on New Brew Thursday and have been intrigued by them so when I saw this one was available at the Beer Store I had to try it. I had also read that you usually dont like your first sour I really enjoyed this one. It i a bit darker than the other sours I have seen and had a ton of flavor. It is aged in Port barrels and it picks up a ton of fruit flavors in that process. This is not like any beer I have ever had. It went well with the cheeses but this one would be fine all on its own as well. I am definitely going to do some research to find a few recommended pairings for sours and give this one another shot. I believe it is a limited edition so if you want to try it I would get it as soon as you can. I am going to the beer store again today and get a few more bottles of it to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment