Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Squatters IPA

  So I picked up some Squatters India Pale Ale today at the Murray Liquor Store. I also grabbed about 6 other local brews, but more on them later. This beer has won quite a few awards including Gold at the 2006 World Beer Cup, so it seemed like a great place to get started. My wife made Mole Chicken Enchiladas tonight as well so I figured that would be a good pairing. I have been reading that the IPAs go good with Spicy Food so I figured I would give it a shot. 
  As soon as I poured it in the glass I could smell the hops in it, and it poured very nicely, the head lasted a few minutes and was pretty light and bubbly. I tried it on its own first and was impressed, the Hop bitterness is right there but it is not a "rough" flavor at all. This beer has a smooth finish and while the flavors remain after its down the hatch it doesn't feel like it has an after taste which kind of caught me by surprise.
  So the Enchiladas were not over spicy but they had some heat, they were quite good on their own but I noticed that the beer brought the heat up a bit at first but then seemed to shut it off when I took another drink. This was a nice surprise and this IPA seemed to compliment this dish quite well. I look forward to serving this with some spicy Asian food in the future. 
  I would definitely try this beer if you get a chance, according the the website it is only available in bottles at Squatters 3 Pubs and select Liquor Stores,so no tap availability at this time. It was $1.74 a bottle and is 6% ABV so almost double the alcohol as our grocery store beer with about 100 times the flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment